We have selected the horseradish strain "Big Top" for its size, vigor, wide adaptability and resistance to foliage diseases, rust and bacterial spot (all common problems in horseradish). These horseradish plants are top performers; a few roots will last a lifetime!
- Best in Zones:
- 3 - 8
Video Learning with Nate Nourse
Our videos are written and produced by Nate Nourse and are aimed at your success. You'll find all our Video Learning Guides in our Video Library.
Planting Information for Horseradish
- 10" – 12" between plants
- 3’ between rows
- Plant at 45° angle with flat end facing up
- Flat end should be about 1" below soil surface
- Keep soil moist throughout the establishment period
- Does not need a lot of fertilization
- Fertilize in spring with 5lbs of 10–10–10 per 100 sq ft
- pH: 6.2 – 6.7
- Regular, manual weeding is recommended
- Consult a local extension before using chemicals
- Harvest roots the 2nd fall after planting
- If not harvested, divide roots every year or two
Don't forget Grower Accessories
Healthy berry plants require these important elements:
- Early planting! Plant as early as possible in the spring. Snow or occasional frost will not hurt most new plants (green tissue culture plants excepted), and spring rains will foster growth. Planting in the fall is not recommended in the Northeast and Midwest.
- A sunny, weed-free location with at least a half-day of sunlight.
- Clean beds that are frequently weeded.
- Well-drained soil. For poor drainage conditions, consider raised beds.
- Proper soil pH. Matching soil pH to plant requirements can be a huge factor in your success. Sample the soil before planting and contact your local cooperative extension office for assistance.
- Crop rotation. Avoid planting strawberries or raspberries in soils where previous crops have included strawberries, raspberries, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant or peppers. These crops may harbor the soil pathogens Verticillium, Phytophthora and nematodes and may affect your new plants.
- Irrigation. Maintain proper moisture levels throughout the season and, most importantly, during the establishment period. Drip irrigation is imperative when planting in raised beds.
Avoid Common Mistakes
- Read free planting guide 1-3 months before planting.
- Plants will fail to flourish if roots are too deep or too shallow.
- Pack soil firmly around the roots.
- Do not plant near wild plants or plants whose origins are unknown.
- Water well one to three times a week, not every day.
- Avoid fertilizer burn by fertilizing only after plants are established.
- Do not soak plants in water more than 1 hour!
- Plants orders shipping to CA, OR, WA and HI will be charged a $15.00 fee for phyto-sanitary inspection.
- From Mid-May on, (depending on seasonal weather) orders shipping to states with a 4 or 5 Day ground transit time from MA will automatically be upgraded to 3DAY expedited shipping so that plants will arrive in optimal condition. This will be reflected in shipping charge.
- All plants are dormant, bare root, and ship from our Massachusetts nursery.
- We do not ship online orders outside the US.
- We use Federal Express as our standard shipper
- For large commercial orders, we offer various methods of Truck Shipments
View our recommended planting dates for your Zone:
(Upon checkout you will be only presented with our recommended ship dates for your delivery area)
|Zone||Low Temps||Nourse Farms|
|3||-40° to -30°||May 5 on|
|4||-30° to -20°||April 20 - May 30|
|5||-20° to -10°||April 8 - May 20|
|6||-10° to 0°||March 25 - May 15|
|7||0° to 10°||March 8 - May 5|
|8||10° to 20°||March 1 - April 20|
|9||20° to 30°||February 1 - April 15|
Estimate Your Ship Charges
|Order Value||Ground||3 Day||2 Day|
|$15.01 - 30.00||$11.95||$23.95||$31.50|
|$30.01 - 60.00||$14.95||$29.95||$39.50|
|$60.01 - 85.00||$16.95||$34.50||$49.50|
|$85.01 - $140.00||$19.95||$39.50||$59.50|
|$140.01 - $200.00||$22.95||$59.25||$74.50|
Approximate transit times from us to you
Please refer to the FEDEX zone chart below, which estimates transit times from our Whately, MA facility to each state.